Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Pines

Or, "Why the New A Fine Frenzy Album Is Forever Endeared to Me Even Though I Have Not Yet Listened to It."


I WILL get this. Soon, hopefully.
Honestly, I think I need to start a running tally of what has become endeared to me this October, because I feel like it's going to be one of those seasons. Those ridiculous perfect storms of writing where stuff just starts popping left and right. Which I suppose for Wonderfall is fitting, because epiphanies are kind of magical in their own way. But, really now? First Lowe's and now a CD I haven't even heard. Which I want. Because A Fine Frenzy's stuff is like, "Magical Realism, The Music." I'm playing the first album right now, and "Borrowed Time" and "Rangers" are on my Wonderfall playlist.

Anyway, why Pines? This morning I was sitting at the dining room table, trying to refine Wonderfall's plot because I had fallen into one of my regular pitfalls: overcomplicating things. It wasn't that the story had too much going on, it was that it had too much going on for the tone I'm aiming for, so I was either trying to pare it down or reframe it. Things were going uncharacteristically well, actually - I had adjusted the plot so basically the same things were going on, but in a different context. I was working on character motivations, then - what Elias, Lorelei, and Connor each really wanted, and what the antagonist (ostensibly not a real villain this time) wanted. It was taking so long to come up with that I stopped thinking about it after a while, and moved on to other things.

Now, part of the problem that arises in the story is that Connor and the antagonist want close to the same thing, though not exactly. I knew what Connor wanted, but the antagonist's motives were still vague. I knew he or she wanted an event called "Wonderfall" to occur for a specific purpose, whereas Connor was just waiting for Wonderfall for the sake of it. The question was, what specific thing did the antagonist want Wonderfall for?

Later on, I got up to make toast, mulling it over, when it hit me. The thought process looked like this, though of course the details aren't really that simple. Um, SLIGHT VAGUE KINDA SPOILERS:



Haha, spoilers, yeah, I guess. A magical garden is in some way involved. But anyway, what the antagonist is going for versus what everyone else in the story wants just fit so perfectly with the tone. And then I just fell in love with the story all over again. Plus, I did want to keep the story a bit on the shorter side, by my standards, and the garden idea made a bunch of things fall into place.

*Sigh* I do love October. 


2 comments:

  1. PINES. PINES PINES PINES. YES. A Fine Frenzy always creeps into every one of my story's playlists. Her songs are brilliant. I bought Pines on its early release and, for the most part, I do love it. It's writing music, very low-key and haunting. It actually took a couple listens for me to warm up to it because it is so slow and soft (the other two albums have more presence, I think).

    But then again, I always want more, haha. Have you heard her song, "Lost Things?" I wish it made it onto an album so I can listen to it all the time, haha. It totally sparked a story that's sitting on the backburner right now, but that's the magic of her writing.

    I'm so excited about your NaNo novel! Ahhhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ERMAHGERD PERHNS!

    I LOVE Pines so, so much. Out of all of the songs, 'Avalanches' is my favorite. I love the swaying tune and rhythm and the softness of her voice. Most of all I love the lyrics. It reminds me a little of The God of Enclosed Spaces, but also of one of my novels (which I will leave nameless because I don't want to bore you).

    Like Kim said above, it's definitely writing music. Very background-y, beautiful enough that it's there, naturally. But if you want to stop and listen it'll knock the breath out of you and give you inspiration all the same.

    If you haven't listened to it yet, you should! Definitely worth the money in my opinion, haha.

    I love Wonderfall so far, by the way. I think it's very good, and I can't wait for the next chapter to be posted on Figment. :)

    ReplyDelete