Friday, October 5, 2012

Genres . . . And I went to the library today!

I've backed away from considering NaNo plots at this point. It's dangerous, and I foresee tentacled monstrosities, born from too many ideas melding together at once, seeking vengeance against me for their mangled state.

So, instead, I'm contemplating genres. What I feel like writing. Atmosphere, etc.

The candidates thus far are:

  • Magical Realism
  • Eerie Urban Fantasy (as reflected by my current novel synopsis)
  • Cyberpunk (of the over-the-top-stylized-don't-take-this-seriously action variety)
The last two actually have plot ideas tied to them. As for magical realism, I just have characters in mind. I'm kind of reading up on magical realism at this point, as I ponder. It would definitely be a much more subtle story than the other two genre options. But in all honesty, I think it's just going to come down to what story's screaming at me the loudest come the last week of October.

Oh, yes, and my library winnings. 

I checked out:
  • Neuromancer by William Gibson
  • Zodiac by Neal Stephenson
  • Embassytown by China Mieville
  • Writing the Paranormal Novel by Steven Harper
  • and Between the Lines: Master the Subtle Elements of Fiction Writing by Jessica Page Morrell
And from the book sale I bought The Devil In The White City by Erik Larson, and The Irish Game by Matthew Hart for fifty cents each. 

No comments:

Post a Comment