Tuesday, October 16, 2012

In Which I Discuss the Perils of Planning Stuff

Cut to October 31, 2011. I know what my plot is. I know who my characters are. I am ready to get stuff written. Planned stuff. The plot I've (kind of) slaved over for basically the whole month.

Then November 1st happened and all that kind of just melted and slithered down the drain as I barreled blindly forth with the rough equivalent of my plot's deformed half-sibling. I don't even remember for sure what the original plot entailed, but I'm pretty sure the title (Dark Horse) was the only thing that remained entirely intact.

This is the NaNoWriMo strain of plot ADD. Dozens of ideas flutter around my head all October, I stalwartly keep focus on one of them, and then some invisible force slams in on NaNo Eve and, well, "Goodbye, focus! It was nice seeing you! We'll have to do this again sometime! Like, next October!"

Now, frankly, I don't think that will happen this year. I'm all, like emotionally invested this time around. Wonderfall (which is based on my poems found here) is my new adopted child, and I love it, and it gives me seizures when I think too hard about it but I ignore those, eat some chocolate, and plan it anyway. There's this nifty article here in which, I kid you not, the Incredible Hulk totally curb-stomps the Three Act story structure in favor of Shakespeare's five acts, and I used it to draw Wonderfall into a modified six act version. It's the most outlining I've done in a year, and I'm going to do more.

See, this year I'm finally employing the Psycho Person Notebook technique, in which I stuff I comp book completely full with outlining and character bios and random writing resources I printed off the Internet. It's working wonders for me, truly. But there are still kinks to be worked out.

Like POINT OF VIEW. THE BANE OF MY EXISTENCE.

We do battle every year. I'm pretty sure I wrote an epic forum post about it last year and everything.

Anyway, Wonderfall has three protagonists: Elias, Connor, and Lorelei, the latter of which is our wonderfall girl. And if you hopped on over to Figment and read the poem, you know she doesn't stay long. Except, we still need to know what she's up to. So naturally, I think, well, we'll do third person limited - then we can go around to Eli and Connie and her and know what's what. Except that, when Elias (arguably the true main character) first burst into existence, it was in the form of a first person and pretty badass opening monologue-type thing. And Lore, bless her, had a very Lore-like second chapter too. But I can't get a handle on how Connor would sound in first person, I'm sketch about attempting two male point of view characters when I've never even done one for any length of time, and I'm frankly not a huge fan of rotating point of views to begin with.

So, I say, "OK, so third-person limited it is." Except I still kind of want to write Elias. I hear him talking. Only, I can't just write Elias, because then how on earth would he know what Connor and Lore were secretly getting themselves into. Grr.

And then, I'm still working on character motivations, which of their flaws to haunt them with, and all that good writerly stuff. I'm doing fine with that. I know Elias is going to be put on the spot for how he's always avoiding drama at the cost of ignoring important issues, and Connor's going to be selfish and ignore how he's been pretty distant lately and call Elias out on it. Stuff like that. It's just, depending on the point of view, certain things are going to be highlighted more than others.

Oh, the joys of NaNo planning. Now, I'm off to go find some rubber cement, because stick glue doesn't cut it when pasting things into a notebook.


3 comments:

  1. Ahhh, your blog is so pretty! I love it!

    I know what you mean about NaNo woes. Last year, I did some intense planning on what would later become my thesis, so sure that I'd dedicate the month to it. What happened? Well, about three days before November, I had this-brilliant-that-I-needed-to-write so pah. I put it off and ended up writing Olivia (On Figment) instead. Well, great.

    Thankfully, the thesis still had gotten finished (thank you CampNaNo), but the point is that planning can actually make you not want to go through with a project. Maybe because it's more fun, in theory, to fly by the seat of your pants for a month. Hmm. I'm still trying to figure it out.

    This November, I'm determined to write the second book in the Birdcage Girl trilogy. I've written about four chapters - one I like (and posted) and the other three that need serious revisions. It's about time that I tackle it head on; I've been excited about it for a while, but procrastination and demanding school life are powerful enemies, haha.

    On the note of POV: YEAH I KNOW. It can be so hard to figure out. It seems like the thing you're clinging to most is wanting to have Elias's awesome voice. Well, I think I have a solution, even if you choose third person: physic distance. Have you heard of it? If not, read this article and let me know if it's helped:

    http://emmadarwin.typepad.com/thisitchofwriting/psychic-distance-what-it-is-and-how-to-use-it.html

    You can still have his voice in third person and still enjoy that POV.

    BTW, we should exchange NaNo info before it starts :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha ~ at least you got Olivia out of it! I usually end up with something only halfway coherent that no one will ever be permitted to set eyes on! But, it's a fun trip either way.

      And yeah, that's why I usually don't plan very much - the whole book ends up unfolding in my head, and then I feel like the story's already "done". Usually I just get to know the characters and let them determine as much as possible.

      (And, would you believe it, not four hours after I wrote this entry I had this OH WRITE ME NOW idea based on the poem "The Highwayman" - though, at least, Elias and Lorelei were still kinda the main characters. So far, I'm resisting.)

      The article was A LOT of help. Ha, I was reading the first set of examples, hit #4 and just thought, "Oh, look, it's Elias." Well, when he's grumpy. That aside, it got me thinking about the level of psychic distance in Lorelei's chapters after a certain plot point and just - ah. The possibilities. You might have created a monster. :)

      And yes - we should definitely exchange NaNo info! I want it to be November already. Even though I have scholarship applications I should be filling out. :P

      Delete
  2. Ah, your planning sounds so dramatic, and so epic. =) I hope it goes well for you, although I understand the torment of POVs. Could an extremely close third person save you?
    By the way, I've nominated your blog to be part of the Liebster Blog Award! Come visit my blog, and all will be revealed to you. =)

    ReplyDelete